Woah it felt weird writing “2017” in the title of this post! I don’t think I’ve actually written it down yet, so that was officially the first time. ;) I posted almost exactly one year ago about our 2016 home goals – the things we wanted to accomplish with our home during the year. And our list was REALLY long, because, well, we chose to move into a fixer upper.
At the end of December, I shared a post recapping how those goals went [here]. It was fun to look back and see what we were able to accomplish during the year (and what we didn’t get to, as well), so I thought I’d do the same thing for this year!
2016 was a really fun year for us: Henry turned one in October, so the year was filled with so many of his milestones. Brandon moved to a new company, I started blogging a lot more and met some awesome people because of it, and we just plain had a lot of fun. I’ve shared a bunch of my favorite photos from the year at the end of this post!
Here are our goals for 2017. Some of them are pretty lofty, some are more simple. I know that we most likely will not get to complete all of them but we’ll sure try!
- Finish the stairs. I’ve shared a couple updates on our staircase [here] and [here], and I am really excited to get this one done. The stairs are the first thing you see when you step in the front door so I think that refinishing our stairs will be huge!
- Build a hood range. The house came with an old, super-heavy, outdated microwave and we took it out during Easter weekend this year. Our kitchen has come a long way since we moved in and I’ve wanted a hood range since the very beginning. Hopefully we can get this one done! You can see how our kitchen looks now [here].
- Repaint the shutters outside. This one isn’t really high at the top of our list so we may not even do it, but it’s something that I’ve been thinking about. We’ll see how it goes.
- Carpet the two upstairs bedrooms. Our bedrooms are on the main floor right now, and they’re pretty small. The two bedrooms upstairs are bigger so of course I’d like to move our rooms up there. However…they both still have old carpeting and the bathroom up there is awful. There is wood under the carpet, but instead of refinishing the wood floors I’d like to recarpet them. I know, I know…I do love my wood floors everywhere else in the house, but I am excited about having fresh, clean carpet in the two rooms of the house where we’ll sleep. I think it will make the upstairs feel cozier!
- Completely remodel both bathrooms. The bathroom on the main level isn’t bad (you can see a couple of photos here), but the one upstairs…oh my goodness, you guys. I’ll have to share some pictures on a day when I’m feeling brave. Let me just say that there’s green carpeting IN THE BATHROOM. I’ll leave it at that for now. We want to totally remodel both of the bathrooms. This is one of the “lofty” goals I mentioned but it would be amazing!
- Swap out light fixtures in the upstairs hallway and bedrooms. They’re outdated and this will just happen around the same time we re-carpet.
- Refinish our deck. The deck isn’t in the worst shape, but it’s not in the best either. The rails need to be replaced, and I’d love to have a space where Henry can run around safely.
- Replace some doors. Our home has all flat panel interior doors, so we’d like to someday swap those out for nicer ones. Again, not super high on the list but it’s a goal!
And now for some of my favorite photos from 2016, because I couldn’t NOT share them!
What are YOUR goals for 2017? Wish us luck on our home projects!
Don’t forget that you can sign up to receive my emails – I send one out every time I publish a new post, so you’ll never miss out on anything that’s happening on Shady Lane! There’s a sign up form at the very top of the page. Let me know if you need any help!
You might like to read these posts next: