The other day I started a fun new series here on the blog called “Then and Now.” I started with our living room [here] and it was so fun to look back at the changes that we’ve made and all of the work that we have put in.
Today we’re moving to the next room as you walk through the house: our kitchen.
Side note: I’ve mentioned before that this room is so dang hard to photograph because it doesn’t get a whole lot of natural light. There’s one window over the sink, but there’s an awning over that window on the outside of the house. So I end up being forced to leave the overhead lights on when I take pictures, and that makes them all look kind of yellow-ish. I’m sure there’s a way to fix the issue with my camera settings…but I’m clearly not a professional photographer. ;) I don’t know what I’m doing! So if anyone has any tips for me (other than ripping off the awning LOL), please feel free to share.
The kitchen is actually the first room I thought about before we moved into the house. It had oak cabinets, blue walls, weird floral hardware, outdated appliances, and laminate flooring. The flooring would have actually been OK if it was throughout the house…but it was one of THREE different types of flooring on the main level. So we fixed that, and a lot of other things.
Then (before we moved in)
And one more
(There’s that funky lighting I’m talking about. Any advice, photographers?!)
How we got here
- Painted the walls. See all of the colors we used in our home [here]
- Painted the kitchen cabinets [here] and raised the uppers to the ceiling [here]
- Added open shelving [here]
- Had carpet and laminate ripped up and hardwoods installed [here]
- Put in a kitchen island [here] – we still need barstools for it, but I haven’t been looking too hard. I think Henry will probably just try to pull them over on himself! So if I come across the “perfect” ones, we’ll get them but for now…we’re doing OK without them.
- Got a new refrigerator and dishwasher.
- Switched out the lighting. We put in pendant lighting and hung an antique ladder, too [here]
I still have plans for this room, like replacing the oven, building a range hood (see my faves here), replacing countertops, and adding some kind of backsplash.
Don’t forget that you can sign up to receive my emails – I send one out every time I publish a new post, so you’ll never miss out on anything that’s happening on Shady Lane! There’s a sign up form at the very top of the page. Let me know if you need any help!
You might like to read these posts next: